it's the Oscars!

‘Tis that time of the year again and everyone in Hollywood is all psyched for this evening’s awards ceremony. And because I love going to the movies (and eating ice cream before or afterwards), I thought I should write about the ones that I really liked this year and the reasons why I loved them:


Brokeback Mountain
. By far the best film this year. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall both gave an amazing performance as Ennis and Jack, taking their audience right to the very heart of their characters. But more than the acting, it is the entirety of the story, the magnificent setting, and the poignancy of it all that makes this film really beautiful. For me, this is not just a ‘gay cowboy movie’ (which is unfortunate that a lot of people categorize it this way) – it’s really about life and the choices that you make and how you live with the consequences of those choices.
The last scene with Ennis said it all: he was inside his mobile home, alone and weather-beaten, gazing tenderly at those two overlapped shirts (with a postcard of Brokeback Mountain pinned beside it) and he said “Jack, I swear….” With so little words, this scene managed to portray a universal experience of love and loss and dealing with the consequences, an experience that could happen to anyone…it doesn’t matter if it is between two men, two women, or a man and a woman. And the fact that subtle nuances such as this were captured so vividly in a film is, for me, a rare cinematic achievement. Cheers to its director, Ang Lee, for his vision and daring. .

Dear Frankie
. An independent Scottish film that I unexpectedly came across
while reading a Borders book review. Very, very sweet. Its one of those small films that will tug at your heartstrings just because it’s so simple and so real and the characters are people that one can easily relate to. And I just love how its so full of little moments that will really stay with you and make you fall in love all over again.
.
March of the Penguins. I love, love, love this documentary. From its opening scene to its slow fade-out (and Morgan Freeman’s beautiful voice), I was completely spellbound. There are so many things that I want to write about the emperor penguins but I’ll reserve them for later, when I finally get to see the entire features of its DVD. For now, all I can say is that if there’s any film, documentary or otherwise, that you should definitely watch, this has got to be it.

Match Point
. At first I can’t make up my mind if I like this movie or not, but it will surely make you think, even long after you leave the theater. The story is well-written, very unpredictable and full of twists and turns. And eventhough it is morally disturbing (for me at least), I also think that it’s a microcosm of today’s society – how people would manipulate each other to get what they want, how relationships are so arbitrary, and how, to some extent, everything depends on luck. Plus, there’s Jonathan Rhes-Meyers who is such a good actor and a joy to watch on the silverscreen (I liked him since Bend it Like Beckham).


Pride and Prejudice
. I love the novel by Jane Austen and for years I’ve always wanted to be like Elizabeth Bennet (complete with a Mr. Darcy of my own, hehe). These two are easily my favorite characters: intelligent, well-read, and very introspective…and I just love how they can really talk to each other, even when they thought they hated each other (their verbal sparrings are precious!). As for this film, I couldn’t have asked for a better adaptation.
.
Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
. This is a very lighthearted chic flick (also adapted from a book) which reminds me of my own ‘sisterhood’, our shared memories, and the crazy things that we do in the name of love (Laile, remember asuka-asuka?). And yeah, I’m biased because I’ve always dreamed of going to Santorini.

Update 3/23:
The Constant Gardener. I just saw this movie recently and I can’t believe it didn’t win a major award (well, except for Rachel Weisz who won Best Supporting Actress). Its soooo beautiful. The music is haunting, the cinematography is great and you’ll be amazed by how beautiful (geez, I should stop using this word) Africa is. But more importantly, the story is socially relevant. The writer should've used a more catchy title though :P.

1 comment:

  1. i love the constant gardener, too!

    ReplyDelete