in a nutshell

It's been ages since my last entry. A lot has happened since then.

For starters, I left Southern California and moved to San Francisco. And if that's not enough news, I also bought a car. Yes, I am driving now. Isn't that amazing, not to mention mildly ironic? I lived in LA for almost 3 years (where driving is one of life's basic needs) and I didn't get a car and now I'm in SF where everything is accessible by public transportation that its almost a liability to have a car (think about the parking!) and yet here I am driving around, pretending that I know what I'm doing or where I'm going, when the truth is I really have no topographical orientation whatsoever.

But irony aside, I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. I'm excited because I've always loved San Francisco (read my January 1 and 3 entries) and eversince I was little, I've dreamt of living for a year or two in one of the world's literary cities (i.e. Paris, London, Prague, NY, SF), and now I am finally getting a chance to nurture my writer self and make this dream a reality.

I'm also nervous because it's a new place, a new job, a new car, and except for my relative who lives an hour away in Petaluma, I really don't know anyone here. Its like starting all over again - getting to know the city, making friends, establishing routines, etc. This time, I will be completely on my own, no crazy housemates and no one to watch movies and eat ice cream with. And knowing me and my knack for attracting misfortunes, I'm sure it will be one hell of a ride.

But then again, change is what I craved for, and change is what I need. Like what Frances Mayes (author of Under the Tuscan Sun) had said, when she first moved to a villa in Tuscany, "...life must change from time to time if we are to go forward in our thinking".

I completely agree with her. The entire experience of being a grad student in Southern California, working in a job that I love, meeting people from all sorts of backgrounds and eventually making lasting friendships was one of the greatest experiences of my not-so-young life. And I will always thank God for that single moment in time when I decided to move across the Pacific and study here. I've learned a lot and got to know myself so much better in the process. But like all good things, it has reached its end. Here and now, is a new beginning. A new chapter of my life that I intend to enjoy and live to the full.

Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. Change leaves you a blank slate... another page where life must paint its colors on. It's wonderful and scary.

    Here's to another dream fulfilled in another city.

    Bisita nya ko ha? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure Christy, anytime. malingaw jud ka dire, especially sa akong neighborhood. daghan au fafa, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hala ate odj kaw ha hilig sad diay ka ug fafa!!!hahaha!!!(whatta girl wants? unsa pa!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mao, unsa pa man diay? sadly enough, i will never be their type (if you know what i mean *wink, wink*). ako nalang ni sila i-bestfriend, a la will and grace. hehe.

    ReplyDelete