reality check

Okay, enough of my instrospection and SF gushing. Let's get down to the nitty-gritty of my life here.

San Francisco is great but it is also one of the most difficult cities to drive around, for me at least. Aside from the fact that the streets are hilly and confusing (some of them gets cut off at certain places and continues on to the next block), there is also that little business of parking.

Yes, parking here is such a pain. And given my driving skills (or lack thereof), the entire experience of day-to-day parking, from finding a space to trying to squeeze into that space while preventing your car from rolling down the hill, is indeed an adventure. Although I must say, it's actually getting better these days. I've learned some "adaptive strategies" (haha) and my parallel parking is not as bad as it used to be. I also went ahead and rented a parking space a block away from my cousin's apartment, which made my life so much easier.

And this may sound silly, but a huge part of my days' successes is how long it took me to find parking. Like today, my morning went really well because I was able to find a parking spot right away and it took me less than 15 minutes to drive to one of my schools and park my little Civic. I know, its really not that exciting, but if you know me and how terribly dyspraxic I am, you'll understand.

As for those roller-coaster hills, they aren't too bad either. They used to be really daunting when I first started driving here but now I am getting used to it. In fact, when you take away the anxiety that goes with it, driving up and down the hills can actually be enjoyable, especially along Upper Market/Portola Drive where you can see the rest of the city below. My only complaint is that sometimes the fog rolls in and you can hardly see where you're going along those hills. This only happened to me once and it was pretty scary, I think I had a near-panic attack and called every saint that I could think of :D .

~

Work turned out to be a bit of a challenge. Not because I have to drive around my schools, but because it requires so much organization. And I am certainly not the most organized person on earth. Come to think of it, I thrive on being unorganized. I hate following schedules, my entire college life I was almost always late for every class, and most of my projects, written work and what-not are often done at the last-minute. It used to drive my parents (and every type A personality around me) crazy but for the most part, it works for me.

Well, maybe not this time. For my job requires having to juggle seeing 30-something kids in three schools in a week, attending IEP meetings, calling parents and other professionals, keeping kids' files up-to-date, and a million other things. When in the past I only used my planner when I feel like it, now its becoming my lifeline. I constantly refer to it to keep track of what's going on, when, and where. Add to this, I also have to plan ahead for my sessions and be more creative because our school district doesn't have all the therapy supplies that I need.

My first couple of weeks I was so lost amongst my "to-do list", I didn't know which ones to do first and I was seriously doubting if this job is a good match for me. But I'm never the one to give up too easily. I've always been pushing myself, trying to do things that are difficult for me (i.e. moving to a new city where I don't know anyone, driving, etc.), and this time is no different. I'm sure the organizational part of it will always be a challenge, but I'll give it my best shot. Besides, my kids are too darn cute and such a joy to work with.

~

That said, I do miss Southern California. I miss the weather and wearing my flip-flops, I miss "playing" at the clinic, I miss the people. Definitely the people.

You know who you are guys, I hope we can get together soon...

3 comments:

  1. your cracy my cousin. Having fun in Europe. Hope you have an easier time with the parking in the future. You will get use to it!!! LOL!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for dropping by mi primo. i know you're having a blast in EU. parking is definitely easier now. don't forget my italy shirt, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehehehe, I have been driving for almost 10 years. I'm good at racing cars and jeepneys here. I'm good at getting my way through in the most "pi-ut" situation on the road. But guess what...I'm still very poor with horizontal parking. I seem to have difficulty in estimating the space. nyahahaha! That will be my challenge in my driving life. Bring it on friend!

    Jewel the great

    ReplyDelete