insomnia musings

I can't sleep. Again. And I have to wake up at 6:30 am, join a crab walking competition with my kids (because I promised them that we'll have the finale this week, whatever that means :P), write and mail the rest of my holiday cards, and attend a dinner party for our therapy unit in the evening. Aargghhh...

Maybe I should just get this over with and take Tylenol pm. Hee.


Seriously, I hate how sleep is so hard to come by these days, especially when I really want it. Maybe I should cut the caffeine. Duh. But I only drink coffee in the mornings though, that doesn't even count right? And I only drink it to stay awake and keep up with my uber-energetic little munchkins, who, no matter how many crab walks and wall push-ups and every other heavy work activities known to school-based therapists I give them, are still bouncing off the walls and asking a thousand questions per minute.


Today, one of my third-graders asked me again if I have kids (of my own). Kids always ask me this question, I don't know why. I said no. And I wanted to add, not any time soon. Certainly not for a long time. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love working with kids and they teach me so much more than I could ever teach them, but at the same time I just can't imagine coming home and having to take care of your own child after a long day's work. Especially if you work in the schools just like we do. I don't know how other pediatric therapists or teachers can do it, it seems almost impossible.


But enough on the subject of children for now. Its getting really cold here in San Francisco and I wish I could be somewhere warm, perhaps in one of those 7,107 islands right across the Pacific. My theory about my mood being directly proportional to the sun is obviously being tested at this time of the year, although it doesn't seem like it'll be as bad as it was last winter. That was just pure misery. I got very sick and almost Iost my voice the week before Christmas and it was a torture trying to talk to my family on the phone because they couldn't understand a word that I was saying. Hopefully that won't happen again, I've been very diligent with taking my vitamin Cs.

Speaking of getting sick, one of our kids (I guess we're back to the subject of children again) was taken to the hospital last week because of a throat infection and I just learned tonight that she is now critically ill although her doctors doesn't know what's wrong with her yet. I can't even imagine our little 7-year old lying in the ICU with tubes all over her. The last time I saw her she was happily playing tag at the playground, with her cute little braids bouncing up and down behind her. I shudder to think what her parents must feel right now, especially since no really knows what's going on with her yet. It's really sad. The only thing that I could do was to say a prayer for her. And for her family.

Please include them in your prayers as well.

2 comments:

  1. Hi you! I just wanted to say hullo and thanks for your comments on the site. I'm usually not so happy about a comment but it probably has something to do with you seeming like a pretty solid and neat individual :o)

    I hope to learn more about you!

    (Post script: I'm sending warm wishes her way)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for dropping by elizabeth!

    and much thanks for keeping her in your thoughts. she is still very ill right now :(

    ReplyDelete