oh busy, busy kids!


"I don't know how you can do it", my cousin Bill said to me. By "it", he meant working with kids for 6-7 hours a day, 5 days a week. We were at the
Exploratorium, surrounded by hordes of very busy little munchkins, and we were all really tired except for the children of course.

"I don't know either", I answered as I looked towards Charlie and Samatha (our cousin Marivic's kids who were visiting from NJ for the weekend) happily making giant bubbles at one of the exhibits. As with every other kid in the museum, they were unstoppable, bursting with energy while I felt like a wilted flower, sitting in one of the benches and trying desperately to keep my eyes open.

I guess the only thing that I can say about working with children is that you just have to let go. Poopee pants, toys flying in the air, whining, kicking and screaming - these are all part of the game and if you take it too seriously you'd start pulling your hair out by the end of the day.

And reality is, no matter how cute and adorable they are, there will always be those not-so-good days. Someone will throw a tantrum and another one will start putting toys in his mouth no matter how many times you tell him not to, and at the end of it all there's nothing much you can do about it anyway. So I learned to simply go with the flow. Then there's the next day, the next escapade, and life goes on.

Ah, the joys.

2 comments:

  1. you're right. just go with the flow, and hope you're still sane at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for dropping by jp :)

    yes, being around kids all the time is definitely an exercise in letting go.

    ReplyDelete