delirious


Everyone knows how much I love my indie and foreign-language films. So you could just picture my excitement over the SF International Film Festival. Like a kid in a candy store, I was at the Sundance Kabuki Theater last Saturday (yes, Sundance as in the festival and Robert Redford's group of cinemas) trying to figure out which movies I will watch for the next couple of days. I, of course, wanted to see everything and had to control myself and stick to my budget. It turned out that most of the tickets were already sold out even before the festival started, so I had to wait in the rush line for the centerpiece movie that night, which I didn't really mind because I had so much fun people-watching.

Midway through the rush line, I wasn't as enthusiastic anymore. The line was really long and it didn't look like any of us were getting a ticket. A part of me just wanted to let it go and eat sushi at the nearby Japantown. But I figured I already went that far, why back out then. There's always those last-minute chances and you'll never really know unless you try.

True enough, while I was standing there, shifting my weight and scanning the festival's program, this guy tapped me on the shoulder. He asked if I wanted to buy one of his tickets because his friend just called and said that she couldn't make it. At first, I just looked at him and nodded, like I couldn't believe he was real. I eventually found my voice and paid him 12 bucks and off I went to the theaters.

So Delirious. God, I couldn't even find the words to say how much I loved it. Its a satirical movie filled with classic one-liners and Steve Buscemi who played the role of a New York paparazzo was precious. I've always thought that he is a great character actor but in this movie he really outdid himself. He made it all look so easy and natural and even if his character was strange and somewhat creepy, you couldn't help but love him.

The film's director, Tom DiCillo and one of its main actors Alison Lohman, were both present at the screening and they answered some of the audience's questions at the end. When asked why he called the movie Delirious, Tom said that he wanted the name to bring him good luck. I thought about my entire night, from getting the ticket and sitting in the VIP section because some of the sponsors didn't show up, to seeing a great movie and listening to its director and actor talk about it, and I couldn't help but thank whatever good fortune that prompted that guy to sell me a ticket out of all the people who were standing in the rush line. It was, indeed, "delirious".

Photo of Tom DiCillo and Alison Lohman courtesy of http://www.sfist.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment