rain

It's Poetry Thursday. And I wanted to write a poem, I really do. But you know what I realized, after not writing poetry for so long, its really hard to switch back from essay-writing to poetry, my brain is so used to writing in sentences now. Maybe it'll come to me easier next time. But for now, here is what I ended up with. Not quiet a poem. Yet.


* * *


Holding a cup of water poised to give my little potted plant a drink, I stopped to dip my index finger inside. The water felt like cool, silky sheets, inviting the rest of my fingers to join in. Pretty soon I was gathering rivulets of water between my fingers, dropping them on a leaf, slowly, like a soft kiss of rain. I tried to imagine how the leaf must have felt as drops of water touched its dark green cheek. Will it be startled? Delighted? Refreshed?


Suddenly, an image came to me from a different time, a different rain. My siblings and I, our little bodies drenched to the skin, taking a shower underneath a tropical rain. We ran around with arms outstretched as cool drops of rain touched our upturned faces. When the rain came down harder, it drowned our mother's voice and we didn't hear her calling us to come inside. So we stayed out longer and played some more. I tried to remember the warmth of a towel and getting dressed, the steaming hot cocoa that our mother always prepared for us, but all I can see were the lined
paperboats we made, sailing along a little river that the rain left behind.


Photo from Flickr

9 comments:

  1. I'm new to poetry but I really liked your imagery. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi tammy,
    thanks! that made me feel a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does work as a prose poetry to some extent. I too like the images created by your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Odessa, I hear poetry in this piece. I really like the one image leading to the next, then to the memory of yet another. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your language IS poetic here. Just give it a little time; the poems will come when you (and they) are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poetry or not, I just loved this. It made me feel so good, I love tropical rain. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. You have some strong images here - children, rain, hot cocoa, paperboats.

    Your words are dripping with nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your description of running around in the tropical rain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you everyone for all your wonderful comments. It was a good writing exercise, even if it didn't quiet turn out the way I wanted it to be. But hey, I'm just following where the words will lead me.

    Kelly, yes I guess I'm a little nostalgic these days. My younger brother is gonna be a father soon, and its all too fast you know? Seems like it was jsut yesterday when we were all playing tag in the rain, and now I'm gonna be an aunt! :P

    ReplyDelete