becoming jane

I saw the movie Becoming Jane last Friday night and I really enjoyed it. Yeah, I know a lot of Jane Austen scholars are cringing at the mere thought of a heartbroken Jane writing Pride and Prejudice, but historical facts aside, the film was surprisingly good.

The cinematography is gorgeous, full of lush greens of an English countryside and its easy to imagine oneself walking out there, as Jane Austen must have. I also loved the sense of community, the costumes, and those country dances. And who doesn't enjoy grammatically correct sentences and witty conversations?

And then there's the love story. Like everyone else, I grew up having a crush on Mr. Darcy and the idea that Jane Austen had a dashing young man of her own and whom she based Mr. Darcy's character is making me feel absolutely giddy. The filmmakers may have made their romance a tad too dramatic but I really don't care. For despite it's limitations, I still went out of the theater with a smile on my lips, basking in 18th century goodness.

On a shallow note, James McAvoy is just lovely and the perfect leading man. I can't wait to watch him in the film adaptation of Ian McEwan's Atonement.

* * *

Still on the subject of love, I found this one from Liz's lovely blog (thank you Liz) and I really liked it so I'm sharing it here:

I have this theory that the more important and intimate the emotion, the fewer words are required to express it. For instance, in dating, "Will you go out with me?" Six words…"You matter to me." Four words. "I love you." Three words. "Marry me." Two words. But, what's left? What's the one most important and intimate word you can ever say to somebody? It's "good-bye." ~ Joe Straczynski, creator/writer/director of Babylon 5

I couldn't agree more. Especially goodbyes.

7 comments:

  1. That is a movie I am looking forward to seeing! I am a big Jane Austen fan, and I have read all her novels, as well as all the novels of the Bronte sisters (Anne is my favorite). Great post...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi laura,

    yay, another jane austen fan! i just love her novels. as for the bronte sisters, i've only read wuthering heights and i loved it. i heard there's a new movie in the works about the bronte sisters too.

    anyways, hope you'll drop by again to tell me what you think about the 'becoming jane'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read all the novels by the Bronte sisters, and believe it or not, "Wuthering Heights" is my least favorite of the bunch (too highstrung and emotional). Charlotte used to be my favorite ("Jane Eyre," "Villette," "The Professor"...all wonderful...not crazy about "Shirley").

    But in a biography Charlotte said Anne was the most talented of the three. I found Anne's books and have to agree. "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" is truly a masterpiece, and it was the one that ruined Anne's reputation (which is why she is the least well-known of the three). In that novel the main character left her abusive husband, and that was not done back then...thus the ruining of Anne's reputation as a writer. Try to find this one...it is still in print, but I had to order it from my local B&N. Let me know what you think about it after you finish it.

    By the way, I am a member of Goodreads.com. Are you? I know you are a book addict like I am, so you might enjoy it too. It is like Myspace only for book-lovers and great fun. Look for my author page there (Laura Stamps).

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Odessa! "Becoming Jane" sounds like a really good movie -- I loved your review of it. I'm a big fan of movies with nice cinematography. And beautiful costumes are always a treat to look at. I will see this movie soon! And I really liked what you quoted from Liz's blog. It had a surprise ending that I didn't expect -- very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DID she have her own Darcy?? Did she write what she knew?? Now, I have to see the movie.

    I also have Darcy's Story to read, too. Did you read that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi clare, glad to know that you like period movies too. they just seem more romantic aren't they? :)

    laura, thanks for the info. i can't wait to read "the tenant of windefell hall". i'm going to borrow this from my local library.

    wendy, i don't want to spoil the film for you. but its loosely based on an autobiography of jane austen that said she had a flirtation with a young irishman named tom lefroy when she was still young. and he was supposedly the inspiration for mr. darcy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wuthering Heights is possibly my favorite classic out there, save for H.G. Wells, Carroll, and Sartre. Villette was lovely as well.


    Darcy's Story is actually a great P&P-realted branch-off. Not peppered with fantasy and erotica like most of the rest

    ReplyDelete