from my window


Photo by taqri85 on Flickr

I've always loved looking out from an airplane window. There are defining moments in my life that I can vividly recall looking out towards a vast sky and feeling all sorts of emotions. Like that time when I was so depressed sitting in the front row of the plane with my fractured foot and I wondered if how long will it take for me to walk again and then I saw a breathtaking sunrise from the window and knew that everything was going to be alright.

Or when I left my country and my family for the first time, sitting there at the window seat of Philippine Airlines, how I felt so alone, terrified, and yet so free. I was only 23 then and didn't know what to expect about living in a different country and starting grad school. Then I caught a glimpse of Southern California, with its endless rows of twinkling lights and winding freeways and realized that my life will never be the same again.

It's almost like being in a liminal state, a sense of being not here nor there, when you look out of the window thousands of feet above sea level that makes you sigh in wonder and feel as though anything is possible. And so it was with this feeling that I wrote my first haiku(s) two days ago:

cotton candy clouds
magic carpet in the sky
take me for a ride

the sun bids adieu
a multi-colored painting
on top of the earth

* * *

Read more Thurday poets here.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are back! Wonderful poem! We must be thinking alike today. I just posted one of my poems on my blog...

    http://www.OccultFiction.blogspot.com

    Check it out when you get a chance. Also, did you receive my email about the "Nice Matters Award" I gave to you? While you're at my blog you'll want to pick up that award too. Congratulations!!!

    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking out of the window and enjoying the view is the only thing I like about flying! I like your descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Odessa! Bravo on the haiku(s) -- they are filled with wonder and beauty!! And I love how you described being on a plane like being in a liminal state -- that totally is how I experience it with the sense of infinite possibilities and awe of the vastness and mystery of life.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi laura, thanks for the award! i will check out your blog as soon as I post this one.

    thanks juliet! it does make a plane ride more bearable - especially on those terribly long flights!

    thank you clare! haikus are little tricky for me, but i'm learning...your haikus inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey nice to see my picture on y3r photoblog.... i took it while flying to JEDDAH... but i just loved the description....

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi taqri!
    thank you for dropping by. i've always wanted to take a picture of the clouds from an airplane window and you did an excellent job with this one. thanks a lot! =)

    ReplyDelete