jeepneys and a lot of love



My first thought when I saw this truck was, "Oh look, a Philippine
jeepney at the Summer of Love!" I was so excited to see this familiar fixture of my childhood, one where I spent too many hours sitting in traffic going from one place to another, that I actually elbowed my way amongst a tie-dye wearing crowd just so I could take a picture of it. Ah, I miss those good ol' jeeps.

According to CNN, some 50,000 people showed up for the
40th anniversary celebration of the Summer of Love at the Golden Gate Park last Sunday so you can only imagine the craziness. It was fun though, luckily we found an empty patch of grass and spent an hour or so people-watching from there. Love and peace everyone!


See more pictures on my Flickr photoset here.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the Summer of Love...I was too young to go to San Francisco in 1967. I always felt I was born a few years too late. I went up to college in Boston in 1971 thinking at last I could join in all the protests and whatnot, and they only had one peace march, and then they didn't have any after that. I was disappointed; I was still immature enough not to be taking it all seriously (the protests against the war, etc.) and just wanted to be part of something bigger than myself.

    The Summer of Love always reminds me of the song "Wear some flowers in your hair..."

    ReplyDelete