confession tuesday

gymnastics

This is the Olympics version of Confession Tuesday, because quiet honestly, I am obsessed. I've been sleeping way past midnight for more than a week now just to watch the coverage. Tsk, tsk.

* * *
While watching the women's gymnastics all-around finals, I almost called my mom to ask her why she hadn't allowed me to take gymnastics lessons when I was little. I know the answer of course, it was too expensive and she would have to take me to the city (3 hours each way, by bus) just so I could take the classes. But still, watching Nastia Liukin perform her perfect routine on the uneven bars makes me want to be just like her "when I grow up."

* * *
Speaking of lessons, I don't know how to swim. For someone who grew up in an island, this is rather embarassing. I love the water and all, I didn't have any left-over fears from the movie Jaws (like my sister did), I just don't know how to swim correctly. MUST.TAKE. SWIMMING LESSONS.ASAP.

* * *
Right after college, when we first heard that the Olympics is going to be held in Beijing in '08, my friends and I made a pact that we were gonna go and watch it. We figured we that it was close to the Philippines and if we had to watch one Olympics in our lifetime, then this would be it. But none of us went this summer. The night of the opening ceremony, I got a text from two of my friends that said, "We should have been there." They both live in New Jersey now. Funny how our life's journeys took us to another direction altogether.

* * *
This Olympics is particularly special to me because a couple of years ago, I was in China for an international diplomatic convention (I was the secretary for a youth organization then) and I met this guy and immediately fell in love with him. He was so smart, we talked for hours about everything and I wasn't bored by our conversations (which happened a lot with the boys back home) and he was very passionate about what he was doing. In retrospect, I think it was also the excitement of being a part of this huge event with so many people from different parts of the world that added to the romance of it all. By the end of the trip, we promised to keep in touch and meet again in Beijing for the 2008 Olympics. We exhanged emails for a couple of months and somehow lost touch. I've forgotten about all this until recently. Now the memory of how giddy and "in love" I was still makes me smile.

(USA gymnastics team photo from Vogue magazine)

8 comments:

  1. Odessa,
    I know how you feel. Just like you I have been glued infront to the tube and obsesses about the gymnastics and track events. I was a short and middle distance runner. 200m and 400m weremy events at school. I left sport in hugh school coz I got upset with my short height. Now I watch the Olympics and think about the past school popularity. watch the games and smile... Just so in love with Games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! What a fantastic picture!

    And I feel exACTLY the same way when I watch those gymnasts. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Odang, I could give you swimming lessons! :) (I swim better than I walk, which is kinda weird but it's true)

    So lemme guess, those two friends in Jersey are Mai and Bang? ;) Chicago's a contender for the summer games in 2016 so you could come over here and watch it with me if we end up hosting it. O di ba? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great confessions, Odessa.

    I, too, do not know how to swim. I've lived by beaches all of my life and still I can't swim.

    Ah romance! What a nice memory sparked by the Olympics of all thing.

    Lastly, because my grandparents lived in Atlanta, I had always planned to go to but I never did--and now I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. spontaneous mini,
    you're so right. there's something about the games that makes you dream and strive to achieve some of your personal goals, whether it is sports or otherwise.

    cuileann, this is the best picture of the team that i found on the web. i just love their poses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. christy, if you live closer i might take you up on your offer for swimming lessons. hehe.

    i hope chicago wins the bid for 2016. i'll definitely head over there. oh, the two friends are bang and gracia. apil pud c mai sa among sabot sauna, among others (carl, calay, etc). nagdamgo man, unsaon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. january, its not yet too late for both of us to learn how to swim, right? it might have helped if it wasn't so cold here in the bay area. i'm crossing my fingers for the indian summer that we usually get in sept. so i can take swimming lessons then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was funny! About the swim lessons--it's never too late. I'm almost thirty-nine, and just took swim lessons last year for the first time since I was four. And it was wonderful. I had a woman in my class who was in her seventies and had never had swim lessons. Ever. But I wouldn't recommend waiting as long as she did. :)

    ReplyDelete