"love means you breathe in two countries"

There are times, especially on late sunny afternoons when the light is soft as a feather, that I wish I could be in two places at the same time. I love it here and I love the life that I've created for myself here, but at the same time, I also really, really miss my country and my family. It's been more than a year since the last time I was home.

My mom and my sister Poi

*Title taken from the poem Two Countries, one of my favorites by Naomi Shihab Nye

10 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so sweet and heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom and sister are lovely, Odessa.

    Isn't Naomi Shihab Nye wonderful? Compassionate, warm and wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so true, it hit a nail right on the head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom and sister are so beautiful! They also look like they're a lot of fun:)

    I have never lived in a different country, but I lived so far away from my family for too long. I had many conflicting emotions. Visits were bittersweet...too short and too far between. I love the place where I was, but I loved home and finally came back. Now I miss my other home, too.

    I love the poem. It rings so many chords with me. What a wonderful poet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. michelle, thanks. naomi shihab nye is one of my favorite poets. i especially love that she also writes books for children.

    'te erlyn, thank you. i'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. julie, my mom and my sis will be tickled pink when i tell them that someone said they look like they're a lot of fun. especially my sis, as she tends to be more shy and reserved, but once she is comfortable with you she is indeed a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bittersweetness.

    (And I LOVE Naomi Shihab Nye.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. cuileann,
    thanks! i remember you love her, too. yet another thing we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lived away from home for many years and it's hard. (hugs). Your mum and sister are lovely.

    ReplyDelete