happy national poetry month!

"Oh, the hell with poems. We should just do like you and dance! Then the poems will come... Seriously, this is what I've been talking to my students about. You all are gifted, but to do that you have to have drive..THEN, you have to let it all go, like Basho, and live in such a way that the poem will just well up in you. I think of you when I say that. You know how to live. Love, Franz"

This morning I woke up to this Facebook status message by the poet Franz Wright and I couldn't help but smile. The hell with poems indeed.

April couldn't have arrived at such a hectic time for me. I barely slept last night, finishing up two reports and dealing with my temperamental laptop, which I think has a bug but always comes clear when I run the anti-virus scan...its baffling, but I'm not a computer expert so what do I know.

And then the day went crazier. I had to run back and forth between two schools, attend a parent meeting that lasted for 2 hours, run to the bank, run downtown to drop off my rent check, just run run run. I was so tired that I fell asleep as soon as I got home. Woke up and ordered take-out Indian food. Extra spicy. Yum.

Still, I'm doing NaPoWriMo. I will write a poem everyday of this month. I may or may not post them all here but I will do it. And will keep you guys updated on my poetics, the good and the bad.

In January's words, "Let the bad poetry begin!"

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Franz Wright has a Facebook? I just hunted him down in your friends and requested him. Awesome.

    I'm doing NaPoWriMo too. Good luck to you! I hope you get long restful nights of sleep this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading what you create this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you love being friends with Franz Wright on FB? I *love* FB! We live not too far from each other so our circles cross occasionally.

    Can't wait to read your poems. Keep writing no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How's NaPo treating you so far? Hope it's well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read your poems. I do hope you post them. Wonderful post, Odessa. You always make my day.

    ReplyDelete