hieroglyphics

(Overheard at Ms. J's Kindergarten Class)

There's no faucets allowed in there, he said, pointing to a drawing of a pyramid.

Look, I think mine says welcome, she said, showing off drawings that she copied from a book.  They're ancient letters, she added.

Only special people become mummies, he said .  Do you think pyramids are haunted?

* * *
I love eavesdropping on kids' conversations.  Its one of the best things about working with children. They might be talking in ancient Egyptian/hieroglyphics' speak, but sometimes the way they see the world makes so much more sense to me than how us adults see it.

* * *
So then I asked the little guy why he thinks there are no faucets allowed inside the pyramids. His answer: because mummies don't need to drink water anymore.

Duh.

4 comments:

  1. I love that last one.......they're far smarter than they're given credit for most of the time (cept when they're leaping out of trees :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could write a whole book based on the interesting, quirky things you hear from children. My son is 16, but even he cracks me up with his associations and ways of seeing things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. Haunted pyramids! Aren't kids awesome? And when you say, "the way they see the world makes so much more sense to me than how us adults see it," you are so RIGHT ON!

    ReplyDelete