balzac and the little chinese seamstress

Such a sweet, understated movie about the power of literature (in this case, the French novelist Balzac) and its ability to open new worlds and transform people's lives. It is based on a bestseller book of the same name, set in rural China during Mao Zedong's Cultural Revolution.

I had randomly picked this DVD from the library and I'm so glad that I did. It took me to another place and time, back to the moment when I first discovered books, and how I much it changed me. Highly recommended.

P.S. You can read parts of the book online here. Thank you, Google books.

4 comments:

  1. You will never believe... when i lived in CHINA two years ago i felt the peace more than any place in this world... some how we must always church the one who loves us whos taking good care of us...
    Believe me life means nothing with a smile!
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. zucchini, thanks for visiting. i know what you mean about China. i was there for 5 days in 2001 and it was such a memorable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks great! Definitely my cup of tea. I find a lot of good movies at the library. You just gave me a good idea for a blog post for tomorrow. Thanks, Odessa! I'll link to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're very much welcome, christine! :)

    ReplyDelete