a thousand paper cranes


Hello friends! Guess what I've been doing during my free time lately --- folding paper cranes. Yes. And I've already folded a hundred.

Now before you think that I've gone completely nuts, I'm doing this as a special project with a group of girls, our gift for a very special couple to celebrate their love. Its kind of a secret so I can't tell you who they are. Our goal is to fold a thousand paper cranes by July and so far I think we've already exceeded that goal.

The gift is based on an ancient Japanese legend that says anyone's wish will be granted when you fold a thousand paper cranes. Cranes are mystical creatures in Japanese culture and is said to live for a thousand years. I can't even tell you how excited I am to be a part of this project.

The act of folding itself is very soothing, I'm using a certain origami paper with retro flower prints (sorry for the blurry pic, its from my cellphone camera), that after crane #10 I fell into a Zen-like rhythm and its almost disappointing when I have to stop and do other things. In fact, I love it so much that I'm thinking of folding a thousand cranes for myself and making a wish for my 30th birthday!

In other news, I have been writing like a madwoman, filling pages and pages of my journal with really bad, incoherent writing. Re-reading Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones reminded me once again to just get on with the practice of writing and not even worry about anything else. So that's what I've been doing right now, writing and writing... aside from folding paper cranes, of course.

How about you, anything you want to share? Are you doing a special project or starting something new?

Update: Alyson just posted a lovely paper crane tutorial on her blog if you want to make some. (thanks Alyson!)

2 comments:

  1. mary lynneJune 27, 2009

    cheers miss O! it's a wonderful thing your doing with the cranes. and 1 thousand is truly an expression of love... hope to see you sometime during the summer... i'm going to check out the book you mentioned by natalie goldberg. also, have you read "the shadow of the wind" by carlos ?? it is a beautiful read. his books are written in spanish then translated. ciao bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so cool that you're doing this. what a neat, neat project.

    ReplyDelete