we own the sky


We went on a long hike in Muir Woods last weekend. The longest mountain hike I've ever done, and with only 4 hours of sleep the night before, I thought that I'll surely turn around within the first 2 hours or so. But I didn't. In fact, I didn't feel like giving up at all. Walking amongst the redwood trees, passing by a creek, stopping to look at a lone deer, resting on a tree stomp while smiling at other hikers walking by, the sun shining bright -- I felt energized, renewed, light.

My companion said, "this is the place that I saw in my dream... the redwoods, all these wildflowers." Yes, it did feel like a waking dream. Especially when we came upon a meadow where you can see the wide expanse of the ocean below. At that point, I said to myself, how lucky am I to be here?

"My happiness is a kind of challenge", Nabokov wrote. And I totally get what he said. Sometimes its so much easier to linger in our misery than to admit that we're happy. Lately, I've had my share of self-doubt, those times when I start comparing myself to others, those times when I start to question why I am still here, those times when I start missing a place or a person, wishing I was somewhere else instead. But there, in that wide open space, a feeling so simple and true came upon me, and I refuse to call it anything else than happiness.

My friends, I hope that wherever you are, no matter how difficult, no matter how small, you will also find your happiness.



Song by M83, Video by Young Replicant

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful, happy day. And gorgeous, too. I've not hiked that trail, but have heard about it for a long time. Thank you for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree so strongly with Nabokov there...I feel a post coming on. Maybe.

    It's been toooo long since I've been to Muir Woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Odessa! I hiked Muir woods when I visited your state. It is truly gorgeous. I love the words of Nabokov and your description of happiness. I really needed to hear it. I won't go on and on about my blues right now, but you really lifted me up. Yes, we do own the sky! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. deb, you're welcome.

    cuileann, you should go back. its stunning!

    julie, i hear you. its a tricky balance isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure the view was breathtaking. And yeah, I know what you mean about focusing on the negative parts of your life instead of what's so great about it. It's a really tough habit to kick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh Nabokov...i *loved* that quote and your words!
    D.

    ReplyDelete