the poem store

I was tired and hot and about to tear my hair out during last Sunday's Pride Parade when I saw this man and his little poem store. Watching him type away a poem on his old beat-up typewriter amidst all the chaos that was going on around him was like a breath of fresh air.

Just to give you an idea of how thick the crowd was, here is a shot of one stage (and there were many stages) at the Civic Center where the parade ended. Finding this lone poet in the crowd was such a wonderful surprise. I wondered how much he charged for each poem or if he was giving them away for free.

6 comments:

  1. That is awesome. You didn't talk to him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! San Franciscans are like angels sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a regular outside the Ferry Building. You can often find him there on a Saturday morning. I keep meaning to get a poem from him myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *love* this!!

    JP/deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. I've never seen a poem store, but what a great idea. Sounds like a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So he writes poems for people on the spot? Love it!

    ReplyDelete