bright star

I went into the theater trying to downplay my enthusiasm for Bright Star, first because I didn't want to be disappointed and second because I didn't want my love for poetry to color the way I saw it. Well all that flew out of the window in the first few scenes. This film is pure poetry, from its cinematography down to its costume design. I was literally tearing through half of it and my heart was aching so much that I had to take a lot of deep breaths.

One of my favorite scenes is when Keats wrote Ode to a Nightingale while laying down on top of a tree. It was so serene and yet so ecstatic at the same time and it definitely reminded me of those rare moments in a creative process when you know that something magical is about to happen. And did I mention that the acting was superb? I think both lead actors, especially Abbie Cornish, deserves an Oscar nomination for their powerful performance here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Odessa,

    You have been in my reader for long time. I love to read your posts. Keep going. Is that any book you would suggest me, for reading poems of Keats, probably, with some interpretations ( u liked/loved)?

    Thanks.
    Hari.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi dream tiger,

    i must admit that i haven't read a lot of Keats' poetry. i've only recently started with Essential Keats: Selected by Philip Levine. i think it is a good place to start, especially if you are not familiar with his work, and also because i really like Phil Levine as a poet so i trust his selections.

    thanks for reading my blog and dropping a note! :)

    ReplyDelete