inspiration: ice dancing

I was completely mesmerized by the Canadian ice dancing pair of Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir while watching the Olympics last night. Their gold medal performance was simply stunning and it fueled my obsession with ice skating once again.

You see, I used to stay up late at night watching all the ice skating competitions when I was young. Ballet, gymnastics, figure skating - I loved it all. But I was especially enamored with pair skating and my all-time favorites were Sergei Grinkov and Ekaterina Gordeeva. I cried buckets when Sergei died, so much that I woke up with my eyes all red and swollen the next day. Ah, the tragedy of it all and how it somehow sparked a fire in my otherwise uneventful young life.

And now there's Tessa and Scott. Watching them glide on ice is like a dream. Their freestyle had it all: beauty, romance, passion, class. I am even more in love with them after I saw this 2008 performance (via frolic) to the soundtrack of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.

2 comments:

  1. Odessa, thanks for posting the ice skating. Oh, How I love watching them just gliding on the air. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are perfect together. the definition of grace.

    ReplyDelete