around the city: union square, chinatown, north beach

When my mom and dad came to visit me for first time, I was still a struggling grad student who didn't have a car and was renting a room in a somewhat seedy neighborhood in Los Angeles. I felt really bad that they had to sleep on a mattress on the floor and we had to depend on relatives and friends to drive us around. Its different this time, I live in a completely walkable city with easy access to public transportation and I also have a place of my own. I don't think my mom cares either way, but still it makes me happy to share the city that I love with her.

Speaking of love, here's my mom with one of the heart installations in Union Square. The hearts are inspired by Tony Bennett's 'I Left my Heart in San Francisco' song and can be found all over the city.

My mom loved the cable cars and wanted to get on this double-decker tourist bus, to which I immediately said no. Did I tell you how I feel about these buses? Let's just say that every time I see one I wanted to rescue those tourists and take them around the city with me.

We did hop on a cable car to Chinatown, paid 6 bucks for take-out dimsum and walked all the way to North Beach for coffee and dessert. My mom thinks I'm crazy for spending so much money on coffee. I think I'm crazy for drinking so much coffee, period.

We found this painted wall in a North Beach alley and laughed at how it matched my outfit. Of course, we had to take a picture.

That's it for now. Hope you are all well. xoxo.

2 comments:

  1. 'dang! love your mama's pictures!

    and i love your outfit! =)

    i'm sure your mom is having a grand time! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you and your mom are enjoying the city! Great pictures, and she looks as if she's having a wonderful time! And of course you're right, the cable car is the way to go, not a tour bus!

    ReplyDelete