inception and suspended realities


Note: This post contains some spoilers about Christopher Nolan's Inception. You can watch the film trailer here.

Inception is a movie with so many intricate layers that you can't help but want to talk about it. As soon as we got out of the theater, my cousin Bill asked, "So what do you think, did the top stop spinning or not?"

I told him it doesn't really matter whether or not it toppled over, its entirely up to the viewer's interpretation. To which he replied, "But I'm asking you. What do YOU think?"

So for those of you who's seen the movie, I'm opening this post for a discussion. What do you think? Feel free to write your thoughts, theories, general opinion about the movie, etc. And if you haven't watched it, I highly recommend this film, if only because it makes the viewers think, and you don't get a lot of those from Hollywood these days.

By the way, I posted my answer on the comment section, in case you want to know. And oh, can we also talk about how handsome my boyfriend Joseph Gordon-Levitt looked while walking along those walls and ceilings? :)

4 comments:

  1. I personally think that the entire thing happened inside Cobb's (Leonardo diCaprio) subconscious mind and that he created his "team", all those supporting characters, to help him process something that was too painful for him to face in the waking world. In view of this, then it doesn't really matter whether the spinning top toppled over or not, its all but a dream.

    Either that or Christopher Nolan is just messing with our heads and this film is a metaphor of movies itself. For aren't movies, in some way or another, a form of suspended reality anyway?

    Ah, I'm rambling. Must get some sleep. But do join this discussion, I really want to know your opinion of the film :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go back and forth between lots of different theories. The first being what you think happened, and the second, that he never woke up and is lost in dream limbo and doesn't realize it. What gets me are the implications of the subconscious ideas of people. If it was all made up, then what do each of the characters mean? When they are about to enter into Fisher's subconscious idea of what his uncle is, the characters said that dreamscape will be the projections of Fisher's ideas of what his uncle embodies. So then, what do all the characters mean? Are there archetypes? And then you get into the whole idea of collective unconscious, and now we're moving from Freud into Jung. Plus, I keep applying all sorts of critical theory (can't help my English Lit background), and I'm ready to dig in and analyze, analyze, analyze.

    Anyway, I loved this movie, but Steve, my partner, did not care one way or the other. Would love to see it again and see if any of my ideas pan out. There are so many clues! I love how it's one giant puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tien, thanks for your input! Yes, I also had tons of theories that by the end of the night, my cousin said.."forget it, remind me again never to talk about books and movies with you." HA!

    i like that it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, trying to to keep track of everything, who's dreaming, who's projections, etc. my friend who's a psych major swears that the characters are all Jungian archetypes. maybe. it's definitely open to a lot of interpretations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What delightful photographs. I must check out more of this artist's work.

    ReplyDelete