today's inspiration

tumblr_l8ljedAskv1qaxyato1_500

Found this via The Drifter and the Gypsy. Isn't it just lovely? How there's so many words to describe a certain feeling and circumstance. I've always loved the word saudade and the feeling of longing that it evokes, especially after I found Lorca's poetry. And of course, there's gigil, pronounced as gheegle, a Filipino word that I often use when I have this uncontrollable urge to pinch or hug someone. Like seeing a bunny or a newborn baby or your favorite person doing unexpectedly sweet things and you can't help but squeal inside.

I think if there's a word for that feeling of utter joy you get in that moment of doing something that you love the most, I'd like to know that word. Bliss? Happiness? Love? I'm not sure they quiet encompass that inspired moment. Like being able to take a picture that you already saw in your head. Or finding the right phrase for a poem that you're writing. Or doing one perfect pirouette after hours and hours of practice. I would really love to find that word. What do you think?

10 comments:

  1. me too I would love to find it too but gigil is so cute, love it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's called flow... hahahah. JUST KIDDING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sofia, thanks! i guess we have mutual love for each other's languages. you speak portugese, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. neeha, i thought about "flow" too. even looked up Csikszentmihalyi's definition from our old grad school books (dork alert! haha). but i think "flow" describes the experience of doing (a meaningful occupation). it still doesn't capture that feeling "in the moment of doing". i don't know, i might just be overthinking this.

    i'm sure pretty sure Dr. Clark will say it's "flow". :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. the German one is literally "forest loneliness." I wish I could know what the other words were made up of...saudade, ever since I first heard it, and gigil are my favorites too.

    the feeling you are looking for, I don't know it exactly but it made me think of this poem.

    *I* would like a word for that kind of heartache you get when you finish reading a certain poem and close your eyes, or when you're walking out of the theater after a play that blew you away, or after the last chord of music from that one ballet...you know? so beautiful it physically hurts, and you don't know what to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. holly, so is that German word used a lot? i thought it sounds so lyrical. and i love li-young lee's poetry! "the city in which i loved you" is one of my favorites.

    the word that your looking for, i want to find it too. the after-feeling that makes your heart hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nope. I'd never heard or read it before, for what that's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how wonderful, this happens to me often, when i try to translate something from Hebrew into English.

    ReplyDelete
  9. holly, that's too bad. i was really curious to know how its used in "daily language".

    hila, glad you liked it! thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes you are totally right Odessa, and yes of course I totally speak portuguese, my beloved language :)

    ReplyDelete