secret gardens and fairytales

capuccino kiss

I think I've mentioned here before that though I don't watch tv, I love watching foreign films and Japanese and Korean dramas. And for the past 10 weeks, I have been so immersed in this crazy magical world of Secret Garden that it seems fitting that I should write something about it.

On the surface, the story is quiet simple, rich boy falls for poor girl and the obstacles that they face along the way, a modern-day Cinderella story that ends with a happy-ever-after. And truth be told, I'm not usually a fan of happy-ever-afters. The movies and books that I adore are mostly bittersweet or tragic (e.g. Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Wuthering Heights) and I'm always the first to roll my eyes or throw a snarky comment at chick flicks and romantic comedies. So what makes this show special that I'm actually grinning like an idiot for hours on end and (now) even writing about it?

The first thing that comes to mind is a jolt of electricity. From the moment he first laid eyes on her, insulting and complimenting her at the same time, I was a lost cause. Their quick and witty banter reminds me of Pride and Prejudice. The characters are very flawed but also realistic in their assessment of love and the social divide that its actually refreshing. Though not quiet as dashing as Mr. Darcy, I immediately fell in love with the quirky and neurotic male lead, from his gibberish chants down to his sparkly tracksuits. I mean, he is so adorably clueless that the first thing he did was read books about poverty just so he can try to understand her. Heh.

Add to that, the cinematography is gorgeous, the dialogue is rich and laden with dry humor, complete with soul-swapping plot twists that will surely take you on a dizzying ride. And did I mention that the couple's onscreen chemistry is crackling? Yeah, it literally leaves me heady and breathless, the way they stare at each other.

ep20caps2

P.S. You can read the synopsis and watch this show online at hulu.com.

4 comments:

  1. ItadakimasUJanuary 18, 2011

    ^^ I love the male lead's power stare!!! Quite dazzling yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the this drama!
    And no one can resist Kim Joo Won's sparkling tracksuit! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. since I canceled my Netflix I've been so yearning for things to watch, even though I don't really have the time...! I think I may go ahead and let myself get hooked on this. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn you, Odang! Much of my life has been spent mocking my bff and the females in my household for their Korean telenovela obsession. Now, I think I *might* be a little hooked on this. Damn you, damn you, damn you! *kisi-kisi*

    ReplyDelete