what are you reading?

tiburon 081-pola

I've been sick for the past two days (yes, on top of my knee injury..boohoo) and pretty much staying at home today. On the upside, it also means that I can catch up on my reading. Lately I've been such a bad reader, I'd pick up a book, read a chapter or two, put it down and grab another one -- repeat, repeat. I think the last novel that I read from cover to cover was A Book of a Thousand Days, which was last summer.

Poetry books are a different story altogether. I always have one in my purse, on my bed, in the bathroom, everywhere. They are my lifeline, the ones I go to when I'm feeling overwhelmed or just need to breathe. There's always a poet who can help me make sense of things. These days I'm taking Naomi Shihab Nye's Fuel with me everywhere. It is such a goldmine, everyday I find a new poem or phrase that I fall in love with. For instance, reading this poem is like retelling my childhood, especially these lines:

What this town has not given her
the book will provide; a sheep,
a wilderness of new solutions.
The book has already lived through its troubles.
The book has a calm cover, a straight spine
.

A wilderness of new solutions. I love this very much.

P.S. How about you, what are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. I've been like you Odessa, I've been reading several books at the same time without finishing them... and I don't like that !
    As for poetry, I'm always reading it because what's good with poetry is that you pick a poem here and there, you go away you comeback, you feel it, you read it again and again and you can always find something new :)
    Yesterday I received a new poetry book by a brasilian female poet Maria Angela Alvim, she died when she was 33 and only released 1 book and more poetry was found after her death, this book has all her poetry inside and I'm loving it so much ! The book is called "Poems of August" :)
    Have a good sunday and hope you are feeling better.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi sofia, yess you can always find something new in poetry. would love to read Maria's book too..but is it in Portuguese?

    ReplyDelete