"it's okay if your shoes aren't doing it"


I love this video. It feels like the story of my life right now. Yesterday, I took my first ballet class after being away for more than 2 months. Today, I started a new semester of Japanese class. I didn't take the finals last semester because I missed classes after being sick so much so I'm repeating it again. In both classes, I felt a little out of sorts, like I'm threading a new yet familiar ground again.

Its very fascinating how much the body and the mind remembers and just as quickly, how much it forgets. During our practice conversations in Japanese, I completely forgot so many things that its almost like starting anew. Its the same thing with ballet. While doing our routine at the bar, I had to stop myself from over-thinking and just let my body take over, even if I made mistakes here and there.

Baby steps. Or as the teacher said to her little ballerinas in this video, "Its okay if your shoes aren't doing it." Wish me luck.  

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, that sentence is quite comforting and does lend itself to profundity, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holly, yes. i try to remember it when my knee hurts and i'm fumbling with my jumps. :D

    ReplyDelete