ballet night

random 043

We watched The Little Mermaid at the San Francisco Ballet last night. The program was so beautifully dark and intense, though it might have been a little too much to take if you were dead tired on your feet like I was. It kept me on edge of my seat most of the time. Afterwards, when the curtains closed, I felt stunned and emotionally wrung-out.

To be honest, I hadn't expected to be so moved by the little mermaid's story. I already knew how it ended in the original Hans Christian Andersen tale but somehow to see it unfold onstage, without words, was even more tragic. I also noticed that some ladies around me were crying towards the end. My ballet teacher did warn us with these words: it's not pretty. Unrequited love is always painful but this one was almost too painful to watch. But you can't look away either because its spellbinding from beginning to end.

P.S. Watch the preview here. Also, I usually don't feel so strongly about this but please leave your kids at home. Its definitely NOT for children.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an interesting time! I've never actually been to the ballet, but I'd really like to go in London sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rachel, you should. its magical. :)

    ReplyDelete