today's inspiration

photo by H_alive on flickr

"You can never have too much sky. You can fall asleep and wake up drunk on sky, and sky can keep you safe when you are sad. Here there is too much sadness and not enough sky. Butterflies too are few and so are flowers and most things that are beautiful." -- Sandra Cisneros, The House on Mango Street

I picked up this book again today. It is such a deceptively simple story, told in vignettes, but I was so touched by it that I ended up tearing up inside the laundromat when I read it for the first time. I had just moved to San Francisco then and the narrator's voice and her longing for a place to call her own resonated so much in me. I kept nodding yes, yes, and yes...laughed and giggled at stories that were so similar to my own.

And its true, one can never really have too much sky.

(Photo by H_alive)

4 comments:

  1. It sounds lovely, I'll have to hunt down a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks like a wonderful story I might like too. I love when books can make that to us, it's such a special feeling !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been on my "to read" list for too long...time to right that wrong!
    Off to get drunk on some sky now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hila, i hope you can find a copy. its a very fast read too.

    sofia, yes it is. not a lot of books can make me feel like its my story too, so the ones that do are really special.

    heather, sounds like a great idea. let me know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete