ballet: behind the scenes

IMG_2115

My school had a spring performance today. We got lucky because it was sunny and had a lot of gorgeous light streaming through the windows. And as always, there's something about ballet, late afternoon light, live piano music, hardwood floors, and the enthusiasm of youth that is just magical.

IMG_2123

I was captivated by the way the light was reflected against the girls' tulle skirts while they were waiting in line to perform. So lovely.

IMG_2124

IMG_2117

And I can't help it, I always get emotional watching ballet. Especially this one. I've seen these kids in the studio for more than a year now, witnessed how hard they work, often bringing their textbooks to finish their homework. I'm really happy for them.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience! By the way, I especially love the shots of the dresses - #2 and #3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo their dresses are so pretty!! I love ballet too, it's so graceful and inspirational- brings me to tears too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. male ballet dancers...wow <3
    hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty..
    i love ballet too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. maya, thanks! i'm glad you liked them.

    tammy, i know right? it always makes me teary, how graceful the dancers are.

    aron, yep...we have a lot of male dancers in my school. gotta love them, right? :D

    vibeke, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. is this the rehearsal? still performing in Cowell, right?

    it's funny -- i remember wearing those same blue flowers, the same black-and-white skirt. so strange for me to see these, and all the faces unfamiliar now.

    ReplyDelete