bookstore love

IMG_2343

Last weekend, I stopped by St. Helena and found the sweetest little bookstore. It's so cozy and well-lit, and had the kind of warm atmosphere you'd feel in small local shops.  The owner was really nice too, she let me take photos and answered all my questions, she even gave me a used copy of this book for a dollar! Unfortunately, it was near closing time so we couldn't chat for very long but here are some photos that I took.

IMG_2342

Beautiful botanical books and vintage prints.

IMG_2349

The store front. I really like the color combination, especially the striped canopy.

IMG_2345

Bookmarks on the counter ceiling. She said she had collected them from people's used books over the years. I love the one that says 'MOTTOS 10 cents each'.

P.S. I'm still reading The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and just started Henry and June by Anais Nin. What are you reading these days?

9 comments:

  1. "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" is very good. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ari, yes. i heard a lot of good things about it. in fact, a friend of mine told me that anne is her fave writer amongst the sisters. i can't wait to start reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cozy little bookstores, they're getting harder to find these days! I'm currently enjoying The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love indie bookstores - this is such a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. still reading Three Guineas. it is sharp as a razor...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read that one - adding it to my list.

    I just bought a stack of Grace Livingston Hills and I'm working my way through them along with the 3rd grade curriculum I'm teaching this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The front of the store is lovely! Look at those stacks!

    I'm reading The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe. 1950s New York City, publishing company, and all the scandal a book about four single 'modern' women can stir up. It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. tammy, i've read the glass castle awhile ago on my plane ride to the philippines and remembered that i really enjoyed it.

    rachel, thanks! glad you liked it.

    dana, yess...indeed.

    holly, i'd love to hear more about the three guineas when we see each other.

    elizabeth, i haven't read any of her books but a friend of mine recommended them to me too. yet more to add to my list. :)

    annelise, ahhh...that does sound very interesting. let me know what you think of it when you're done. it sounds like my kind of book.

    ReplyDelete