the great gatsby

carey mulligan

Carey Mulligan is playing Daisy Buchanan in the latest film adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. I am so thrilled! The photo above was taken when she auditioned for the role in New York. Isn't she stunning? I really loved her performance in An Education and I can already picture her in 1920s fashion with all those gorgeous drop-waist dresses and fancy hats.

Also, Leonardio diCaprio will play Jay Gatsby and Tobey Maguire is the narrator Nick Carraway. I'm not so sure about Leo as the enigmatic Gatsby but he's proven me wrong quiet a number of times so I hope he will nail this role. Filming has reportedly started this month and the movie is set to be released in 2012.

What do you guys think of this cast? Are you a F. Scott Fitzgerald fan?

(Photo from Deadline via English Muse)

5 comments:

  1. I only read this book for the first time earlier in the year. I didn't love it. Didn't hate it either.

    Carey, I think, will be perfect. I absolutely adored An Education. Tobey is suited as Nick but I'm not sure about Leo either. I do love that Isla Fisher is playing Myrtle though.

    They're filming in Sydney at the moment. I know some people got their knickers in a knot about Baz Luhrmann directing it but I think he'll do a great job of making it as lavish as it should be.

    Also, I had no idea that picture of Carey was taken form her audition. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, this is going to be good! I'm a little skeptical about Leonardo di Caprio (and Baz Luhrmann, I confess), but I'm excited!


    Camila Faria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really didn't like Gatsby very much, though I love Carey Mulligan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really like the cast but i'm not liking the idea of it being filmed in 3D. why on earth does it need to be in 3D?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. annelise, they are filming in australia? wow. that's exciting. i think Baz Luhrmann will definitely make it lush and grandiose, i'm looking forward to his take on it. though i'm not so sure why they have to do it in 3D.

    camila, i guess we'll just have to wait and see if Leo and Baz Luhrmann can deliver. the expectations are definitely high.

    julia, isn't she great? i think she's one of the most talented in her age group.

    sarah, i'm scratching my head on the 3D part too. there's certainly no need for it, in my opinion. unless Baz Luhrmann wants to do an uber grand set design, even more so than what he created in Moulin Rogue or Romeo and Juliet.

    ReplyDelete