on the road



"What is that feeling when you're driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? — it's the too-huge world vaulting us, and it's good-by. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies."
-- Jack Kerouac, On the Road

This book will always be special to me. Sometimes I read it again to remind myself of my idealistic youth, to be inspired, but mostly just to soak in the richness of his words.

We are going on a road trip up the coast to Oregon for the long weekend. Its kind of a last-minute trip so I have no idea what to expect but I'm really excited. I've never been to the Pacific Northwest before and I heard its all kinds of gorgeous. I will definitely share stories and photos from our adventure when we get back.

I hope everyone is enjoying the last few days of summer. And happy Labor Day weekend to those of you who live in the U.S. Cheers! xo

(Photo by Yoko Takahashi, scanned from Yu Aoi's Travel Sand Photobook)

5 comments:

  1. On The Road is one of those books I've always intended to read but have never gotten around to. Really must make an effort to change that.

    Have a fantastic weekend! Sounds fabulous. Oregon (Astoria, to be exact) is the home of The Goonies and is HIGH on my Places I Need to Visit List. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. I am sure you'll love it. Have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful quote. and happy road tripping! i was just thinking about it the other day, how much I miss cars and aimless travels in them with just the barest hint of clarity re the final destination... i envy you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have a fantastic time, road trips are the best!

    ReplyDelete