photo time capsule, circa 2003

---_0958

dog

I found an old roll of black and white film taken 8 years ago and had it developed today. When these photos were taken, I had just moved to the U.S. and started grad school and all I had was a simple Canon film camera which took me about 3 months to save up for.

It makes me a bit nostalgic for those days. I was so poor that all of my money went to food and books and there were times when I'd burst into uncontrollable tears because I'd miss my family and my country so very much. But I was also learning and doing things on my own for the first time in my life and if I had to do it all over again, I would definitely choose the same path that I took.

Funny how looking at old photos can bring back so many sensory details. Like this song from a tv show that my best friends and I loved, how I'd listen to it over and over again until I would stop missing them. The taste of ramen and kimchi after long hours of studying and writing papers.  A warm spring night in a university cafe, sitting at the patio and sipping beer with someone who understands your heart, talking about everything mundane and profound, believing that you have it all figured out.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely post.

    Random question, but I REALLY need help. It seems as though you made your own blogger template. Is it possible that you could teach me how? I really want to personalize my blog and give it some originality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is much braver than picking up and moving to another country alone. I did it a couple of years ago, only for a year, and sometimes I can't believe that it was really me who did it. I agree with you - despite the tears and the loneliness, I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

    I got your postcard :) Thank you so much for thinking of me. It's now pinned to the board above my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow it sounds like you've come a long way! I love finding old surprises and that photo with the giant dog is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a lovely, reflective post. I do know what you mean. That's what I find so fascinating about photography.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ari, i sent you an email. hopefully i was able to answer your questions. :)

    annelise, did you live in france for a year? i want to hear all about it. :) also, glad you liked the postcard!

    tammy, the giant furry dog was my aunt's beloved pet Bagski. he was almost as big as me!

    hila, thank you. yes, photographs are really great storytellers.

    ReplyDelete