today's inspiration: art in public spaces

Before-I-die-14-house

I just came across this New Orleans art installation by Candy Chang (via tea collection).  She had turned the side of an abandoned house in her neighborhood to a big chalkboard "to invite people to share their dreams in public space". Isn't it awesome?

before-i-die-chalk1

before-i-die-writings1

Before-I-Die-15-responses

Before-I-Die-12-responses

before-i-die-writing

Before-I-Die-16-responses

I really love all the responses. And sharing your dreams to others, especially with those who live in your community, just makes it even more meaningful. It will be interesting to make something like this around the same neighborhood a couple of years from now and compare what people will write then.

On a personal note, I also have a similar list about the things that I want to do in the future. Its a work in progress and constantly changing but I've always believed that writing down your dreams is the first step towards making them happen somehow.

How about you, do you have a "future" list?

All photos by Civic Center. Read more about this project here.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, what a small world. We had also a Candy Chang artwork installed in my home town this summer. I think was called a "career pipe" or something. It was painted on the street below a motorway which links together university campus area and the students housings. Chang asked what people will become when they grow up. There were pretty interesting answers written with chalk. I think it was excellent piece and it was part of a larger project called Flux Aura on which I also worked on. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful! What a lovely idea. I share a lot of those dreams.


    Camila Faria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, and I feel it helped to raise the spirits of the people of New Orleans during a very dark time that is beginning to fall away--thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't people fantastic? I love the one: Before I die, I want to do a big cartwheel. That made me smile.

    I don't have a physical list of things I want to do, but maybe I should. They're all just floating around in my head so committing them to paper is probably a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ItadakimasUOctober 23, 2011

    whaaa truly awesome indeed!!

    ReplyDelete