writing picasso

R1-01170-0020

These are postcards from the Picasso Exhibit at the de Young Museum. Most of the shots from my recent Diana film roll turned out terribly overexposed that you can barely make anything of it. But I love how this photo turned out. And the story behind it.

Inside the exhibit hall, a little girl of about 7 or 8 was diligently scribbling on her pink hardbound journal. I noticed her right away because she is standing in front of me and she had on the loveliest sweater cape I've ever seen, multicolored chevron stripes made of pastel yarn. I went up to her and said, "Hi. Your sweater is so pretty."

She smiled and said "thank you", then went back to studying Picasso's paintings. I couldn't help but notice her neat and precise handwriting. (I work with children with physical disabilities who often have problems in handwriting so I immediately notice these little details).

"Are you writing down the names of the paintings?", I asked.

It took her awhile to answer and finally she said, "I'm just writing down what I see."

I'm just writing down what I see.

I had to repeat it to myself. And there I was, in the middle of a Picasso exhibition, surrounded by some of the world's most famous artworks, suddenly struck by the truth behind her words.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds so simple, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this post- you're such a great writer! lately, all my diani-mini rolls of film keep coming back way over-exposed. I've wondered if this had something to do with the camera or just how I'm taking the photos....

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely post.. you made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. maja, ari, january, tammy, and piggy:
    thanks for the lovely comments, ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete