Murakami, 1Q84



"It just happens to be the way that I'm made. I have to write things down to feel I fully comprehend them." 

One of my favorite Murakami quotes, in honor of today's US release of 1Q84, which is considered by many as his magnum opus. While some of Murakami's novels are too tedious and slow for me, the ones that I love, I really do love, especially his essays and short stories. There is definitely something about his writing style that is very calming and surreal, sort of like entering into a magical dream space.

As for 1Q84, I saw it at the bookstore today and it is very beautiful.  The only hesitation that I have is the weight (its hardbound, 900+ pages) and the fact that I'm also currently reading another heavy book. It took a lot of self-control to put it back on the shelf but I did pick up The Book Thief on impulse. You see, I really have a problem leaving a bookstore empty-handed and its getting to be an expensive habit. Sigh.

You can read more of 1Q84 from this NPR book review here. And is anyone else planning to read this book soon? We can start a little book club.

Photo via here

5 comments:

  1. i've yet to read Murakami and am really wanting to. it seems a big gap in my reading life considering how often his mentioned (by readers i respect).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, the UK cover is completely different though equally beautiful. I was just telling Hila I just received it in the post, along with the new Jeffrey Eugenides (A Marriage Plot) and The Emperor of Maladies, each of which is minimum 800 pages. So looking forward to it. :)

    P.s. Did you ever read Murakami's This is what I talk about when I talk about running? Wonderful, and not just if you are a runner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem Odessa! Bookshops are very dangerous places to me. Beautiful cover! I don't know if I can find this book over here, I'll have to check...


    Camila Faria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to do a review of this book for Random House, and this post has made me even more excited to read it! but 900 pages ... sheesh. I've had to review longer books, but still, maybe someone can also take me away to a deserted island so I'll have time to read it quickly :)

    bookshops are most definitely a dangerous place for me too, I always leave with something, despite promising myself not to buy a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. monica, you should. maybe start with "hardboiled wonderland", i really liked that book.

    maja, yay! i'm looking forward to read it too. let me know when your done reading 1Q84, i'd love to hear your thoughts about it. as for murakami's writing memoir, i haven't read it yet but i heard a lot of good things about it. i should add that too my list too.

    camila, i hope it will be available for you guys soon. or you can always order from amazon. :)


    hila, oh you too? its really bad, especially since i live 2 blocks away from a library. i really need to go there more. and like i said above, i'd love to hear your thoughts about 1Q84.

    ReplyDelete