october views: lingering in happiness

R1-01459-0005

R1-01459-0008

R1-01459-0006

This in-between time when the weather can't quiet make up its mind yet. And once again, I'm chasing the sun, seabound. A guy with his guitar, serenading the sunset, may be one of the sweetest things I've heard in awhile.

The type of work that I do involves dealing with other people's suffering and sometimes its easy to get weighed down by it all. But I have to dwell on the things that bring me joy or I'll end up going home feeling tired and defeated all the time.

Tonight, I had such a wonderful evening hearing Mary Oliver read her poetry at a local theater. She is truly a gifted writer and I am still floating in the air, my heart full with everything that she shared with us. I never even knew about this reading until today, only to find out that the tickets were already sold out. But I called the box office anyway and what do you know, someone donated a ticket this afternoon and I got the last one!

When she read one of my favorites, Wild Geese, I had tears streaming down my face. Her words still ring so true to me as when I first read it, especially these lines:

"Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting --
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things."


Big hugs, my friends. I hope the sun is also shining where you are.

6 comments:

  1. i love that second photo, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Odessa! The last pic is breathtaking.


    Camila Faria

    ReplyDelete
  3. (i AM wearing pants in that picture! i AM!)
    can't believe you saw Mary Oliverrr...my golly. where?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this post is a gem odessa, both in words and images. but the words linger the most. hugs right back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello there,
    wow, you were meant to be there.

    oh that's a beautiful excerpt... in the family of things... sigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. sarah, camila, hila -- thank you, ladies. glad you liked it.

    holly, i saw mary oliver at the hearbst theater in van ness. she is amazing.

    monica, hello to you too. thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete