the science of sleep

scienceofsleep

I have such fond memories watching Michael Gondry's The Science of Sleep that even if I can't remember what the story was all about, I still consider it one of my favorite films. All I know is that it was strange and whimsical and I was so ridiculously happy when I left the theater after watching it. I mean, how cute is that imaginary pony!

scienceofsleep2


And while we're on this topic, I've also been thinking a lot about sleep lately. Or rather, how much I need sleep. I don't think I have insomnia because I can fall asleep really easily if I want to but there's this stubborn part of me that refuses to sleep early and just think that I can stay up until 1 or 2 am and still be functioning well the next day. Unfortunately, I tend to do most of my writing late at night so that's not helping either.

Do any of you also feel this way? Like you are constantly sleep deprived and depend on caffeine to help get through your work day? I'm curious to know what are other people's sleeping routines or how they deal with lack of sleep, especially since most bloggers and creative types that I know told me that they are most productive at night.

(Film stills from here, gif image from here)

6 comments:

  1. I've not even heard of The Science of Sleep but it looks so cute! I will have to keep an eye out for it.

    I'm definitely one of those ones who fights sleep like a toddler does. There have also been many nights when I've been up until 4am writing because that's when the words poured out. Even when I'm not writing, it's not often that I turn off the light before midnight and that's kind of ridiculous when I have to get up at 7, sometimes 6am. And I also drink too much coffee which I'm trying to cut down on. I wish I had a better routine, or at the very least, better coping mechanisms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks so endearing. never heard of it.

    i'm an insomniac. all my life. i've improved by finally accepting that sleep is not a waste of time. sleep is deeply powerful, for our bodies, our minds, our psyches. it's not worth giving it up.

    i still do sometimes. when i'm brimming with creatvity and no time to do it in, sometimes giving up a few hrs of sleep for time is worth it. as long as it's not too often.

    i'm a night owl too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a night owl, and i can sleep ten hours a day for a week straight. naps don't work too well for me. i'm working my way towards some gentler sleep patterns...i'm working towards earlier bedtimes, because when i listen to my body, that's what i WANT.

    and caffeine makes me feel buzzy and nauseated, but it never really wakes me up. so there's nothing else for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this either, but it looks fun.

    I know I need more sleep. I've no trouble falling asleep either, but my problem is that no matter at what time I fall asleep, 10 pm, 1 pm, even 2 pm, I will ALWAYS wake up at the crack of dawn. I don't even have to put my alarm on because as soon as I get up for my routine trip to the bathroom at 7 or whatever, I will check my phone out of habit and the BAM! That's it. My mind starts waking up and thinking of all the stuff I have to do :/

    I've even tried leaving the phone far away in the living room and sure enough I'll come and get it. It'd be fine if I could nap, but I've never taken to them and just wake up feeling groggy and cranky as hell. My only hope is going to bed earlier, but it's so hard to do when you have stuff you want to get done after work, classes, seeing the family, friends, etc. Oh, and wasting time of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute blog!
    Follow each other :) ?? i'll wait your answer on my blog!
    xx
    www.feedyourfashionmind.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this film too, it does tend to inspire a ridiculously happy feeling :)

    I've been functioning on a lack of sleep lately, and it's starting to affect me. I think we need to make a conscious effort to dedicate time to sleep. I know that's easier said than done when there are a million and one things to do. I wish there were more hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete