a forest full of lights

untitled

I had the most random and surreal week, the kind that needs almost all of your energy and mental capacity (and then some). I guess I can look at it this way, at least my life is not boring. But boy am I exhausted. I took a long nap as soon as I got home today and now all I want to do is stay in bed, have some chocolate chip cookies and tea, and watch my favorite DVDs for the rest of the weekend.

Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru (Heavenly Forest) is a movie that I've been wanting to share with you. I've always been drawn to films that use places and natural lighting as a part of their storytelling, almost treating them as another character, and this is definitely one of those. I can watch it over and over again if only for these forest scenes and how beautifully they were filmed. Just look at all that gorgeous light!

060831_tadakimi_main

heavenly_forest4

HeavenlyForest08

59469942

tkoa5

tkoa4

tumblr_lkprgkp2te1qjy3p3

Like most Japanese movies, the story is centered on small moments and details. A shy and budding photographer meets a quirky and happy-go-lucky girl on their first day of college. He started teaching her photography and together they spent most of their time in this lovely forest behind their school, taking pictures and becoming best friends.

Aoi Miyazaki and Hiroshi Tamaki are two of the most good-looking actors in Japan but in this movie, particularly in the scenes where they start to fall in love, they are downright luminous. Again, I think a lot of it has to do with the use natural light. And how their characters are both so down-to-earth and relatable, going through the same joys and heartbreak that most of us have experienced some time in our lives.

You can watch the official movie trailer here. It is also available to watch online with English subtitles here or here, though the picture quality is not that good.

P.S. I must warn you, some Kleenex might come in handy. ;)

Screencaps taken from the movie Tada, Kimi wo Aishiteru (2006)

11 comments:

  1. i really enjoy quiet emotional movies like this, not enough of them around.
    the light really is luminous. stunning.

    your weekend plan sounds good to me. enjoy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what I see Odessa. I'm looking forward to watch this movie now, I also adore beautiful natural lighting (in both pictures and movies). Thanks for the tip!

    Have a lovely relaxing weekend.


    Camila Faria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have your finger on the pulse of japanese movies for me :) I've enjoyed every single movie recommendation you've given so far and I'm homebound today so I'm looking forward to curling up in bed and watching this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. monica, i'm glad you agree about the weekend plans. haha. being lazy has never felt this good.

    camila, i hope you can watch it. let me know when you do. ;)

    elizabeth, glad to be of help. haha. let me know what you think, i do hope you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks really good (and i agree about lighting...). will watch and report back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh i have this DVD!
    its sweet, but very sad at the end! i cried like a baby! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  7. this film looks absolutely 'pure', if you know what I mean.

    I know how you feel odessa, I'd like to curl up in bed with some dvds and cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. maja, please do. thanks!

    aron, ahh..yes. i was bawling like a baby too. and the photos that she took of him! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. hila, yes i know what you mean about it being "pure". no frills, no sweeping grand gestures, but it gets you right where it matters.

    and yes, my weekend was indeed spent with some cupcakes, beer, and DVDs. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  10. mori girl strikes again! :P

    she sounds a bit like a manic pixie dreamgirl. yes/no?

    ReplyDelete
  11. holly, yes..definitely a mori girl. not so much MPDG, she's too odd and insecure. plus he had another dream girl the entire time they were friends. you have to see it to judge for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete