bill cunningham new york

billcunningham

If there was a 2011 film that I insist you should see, it would have to be this one. A documentary about the New York Times photographer Bill Cunningham, this film is pure inspiration from start to finish. I was crying and cheering quietly in my seat while watching it and left the theater feeling like skipping along the sidewalk. Yes, I was that happy.

Bill Cunningham is one of those special people who found what he loved the most and dedicated his life to it. He is passionate about clothes and even to this day at 80 years old, his days are spent riding a bicycle around New York, taking pictures of what people are wearing on the streets. His two weekly columns, 'On The Street' and 'Evening Hours' is one of the most popular features of the Times, predicting upcoming fashion trends and showing visual essays of life in the big city.

But more than the clothes and the photos, what really touched me about this documentary is the gentle portrayal of its subject.The unobstrusive way the filmmaker follows Bill Cunningham as he goes about his days is very similar to the way Bill takes photographs on the streets - quietly and without fuss.  Because of this, the film becomes more intimate, allowing you to have a glimpse of a great artist who is as much human as everyone else, someone who washes his clothes at a local laundromat or eat $3 sandwiches at a diner. Someone who's bike gets stolen countless of times.

When Bill Cunningham received an award in Paris for a top honor for the arts, he said, 'It's as true today as it ever was: He who seeks beauty will find it.' I think that watching this documentary will give you a glimpse of that beauty.

Watch the trailer here. It is also available for download on iTunes.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Odessa and happy new year!
    Thank you for letting me know about this documentary. The trailer got me convinced that I must see this film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very interesting. Will have to try to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's already on my "to see" list! Thanks for the awesome tip Odessa.


    Camila Faria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of this--I really need to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete