post #600: a letter for you

IMG_2896

Last autumn, when I was trying to figure out a new name for my blog, I came up with the idea of setting aside an hour of my weekend to write a letter for all of you. I figured it will be a good exercise for me to turn off my computer and do one of the things I love the most, writing by hand. Unfortunately, I kept putting off scanning my first letter, then I gave up on the project altogether.

I found my letter yesterday and realized that a part of me might have been scared to share it before. I know it sounds silly, considering that I've been blogging for years but handwritten letters seem more personal, having been written in the moment, without the luxury of an 'edit' or 'delete' button at your fingertips. But this letter was written with you in mind and I really enjoyed writing it, so as my thank you for being such awesome readers, I finally decided to scan and share it here.

Please click on letter for larger size. If you are having a hard time reading my handwriting, I also posted the transcript below, with added paragraph breaks for easier read.

stationary
letter4

I am sitting by the window with this beautiful paper right in front of me, trying to think of what to write to you. I can talk about the people in this coffee shop, the waiter with his sleeve of tattoos, handing out brownie square samples for everyone, or the toddler in his high chair, the one who just had several bites of the brownies and is now squirming in his seat, his curly head bubbling up and down, while he kept tapping his mother's hand, obviously anxious to get off. Or I can talk about the couple sitting by the bar who's seemingly on their first or second date, judging by the shy smiles they are giving each other. Or I can talk about the group of musicians who just walked in with their guitars, all four of them wearing black and sporting longish hair.

Just awhile ago, I heard a tap on the window. I turned around and saw two young boys peering inside, I smiled and waved at them, they started to run away towards their dad. They must be on their way to the park, and I wondered, "what must we look like on the outside, in the eyes of a child?" All these grown-ups inside a coffee shop, either eating or drinking, some talking, others typing furiously on their computers, while others, like me, writing things down on paper.

I'm still finding it hard to believe that I'm part of this so called "grown-up" world now, with all its inherent responsibilities, possibly because for a long time I was one of those kids, always curious to see what it's like when you finally have all that freedom to do what you want to do, to pursue those dreams you've always dreamt. But then again, maybe we'll always feel that way inside, and that's how we keep going, with curiosities, and ideas for when we "grow up".

Now it's already 6:30 and I'll be meeting a friend to have dinner soon. The cafe is also winding down, some of the people who were here earlier had already left. From my window, I can see the N-Judah train pass by with people going somewhere, or going home. It's that hour, that day of the week, and that time of the year when the temperature starts to drop, that we long for things to keep us warm. Wherever you are, know that I'm sending warm thoughts your way....Odessa


P.S. This is my 600th post! Thank you again for reading and coming to visit. xo

10 comments:

  1. I love to read snatches of life... loved yours. Have a great sunday my friend. Xoxo Sofia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, you prolific blogger!

    I have enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy, every single one of your posts since I stumbled upon your blog. I truly have to say it is one of my very favorite blogs.

    I find a lot of blogs I like or think are super interesting but I rarely find one where I feel like the blog author could be a kindred (in the Anne Shirley way...) spirit.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms. O, this is so beautiful... love always, Ms. Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Odessa, you're the sweetest blogger ever! I adore this letter, thanks for writing it with us, your readers, in mind. Lovely! And congrats on your 600th post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the sweetest little post. Congrats on your 600th! I'm glad you've taken the time to share a snippet of your day with us in this letter and that you always let us in with your other posts. Can't wait to continue reading and see where this journey leads you. To nothing but good things I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congratulations
    and
    thank you for sharing with us,

    love
    v

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Here's to 600 more :)

    I love this idea Odessa, as I love your new blog name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sofia, elizabeth, ms. mary, camila, dorky, vibeke, hila --

    thank you so much. you ladies are so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely letter!! I could almost smell the coffee and the environment here ^^ Hope you'll continue this project :)

    ReplyDelete