here's to you, jack keroauc.



“I felt like lying down by the side of the trail and remembering it all. The woods do that to you, they always look familiar, long lost, like the face of a long-dead relative, like an old dream, like a piece of forgotten song drifting across the water, most of all like golden eternities of past childhood or past manhood and all the living and the dying and the heartbreak that went on a million years ago and the clouds as they pass overhead seem to testify (by their own lonesome familiarity) to this feeling. Ecstacy, even, I felt, with flashes of sudden remembrance, and feeling sweaty and drowsy I felt like sleeping and dreaming in the grass." -- The Dharma Bums (1958)

A favorite quote in honor of Jack Kerouac. Today would have been his 90th birthday.

And always, I go back to his advice whenever I need of inspiration:
"Write in recollection and amazement for yourself."

Read the rest of his list of writing essentials here.

6 comments:

  1. What I love to do on a morning is to read beautiful posts like yours and especially to read these quotes out loud and actually feel them to the bone. Thanks Odessa. I've never read Kerouac, I have more than 300 books on my amazon list this one is going to be added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sofia, you're welcome. i hope you get to read one of his books.

      Delete
  2. I've not read this book for well over a decade now (I am guessing). I remember I loved it, and reading the quote here I am toying with the idea of revisiting it. Having previously loved it, I am unsure if I should. Some of my favourite books I like to leave as I first remembered them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gracia, i've only read Dharma Bums once too but it's one of my favorites of his. some of his books have this sort of manic quality but this one was very different, serene almost.

      also, thanks for swinging by and leaving a comment. i'm glad you wandered over here. :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. And I also love his writing essentials. #21 is perfect: "Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post Odessa, I love it. Did you see the 'On the Road' trailer?

    ReplyDelete