so many stories

supermoon, sausalito

I would like to step out of my heart
and go walking beneath the enormous sky.
-- Rilke

Hello friends! Hisashiburi (This means "It's been a long time" in Japanese).
I have so many things to tell you, I'm not sure where to begin.

A beautiful Saturday evening, sitting on the edge of the water, we watched the brightest moon rise over the bay. Someone was singing, the sound of the crashing waves, the smell of the sea, and magic in the air. I danced barefoot and laughed at my messy pirouettes.

More dancing, this time while waiting in line in front of the crème brûlée cart one Friday night. Holly said she wants to write a poem about the crème brûlée man with beautiful eyes and the Christmas lights inside his truck. Later we went to a used bookstore and I was so happy to see Owen, their resident cat, curled up sleeping on a chair.

Another weekend, I took the wrong freeway exit and ended up in a quaint neighborhood in Berkeley. Found a bookstore called Mrs. Dalloway's. Though I have a rule to buy only used books, how could I resist a shop named after one of my favorite novels and has a whole section dedicated to Virginia Woolf? I simply couldn't. I walked out with a new copy of this book.

This same book I took with me to the coast yesterday afternoon. I had no idea there was going to be a solar eclipse. Someone came and brought a pair of eclipse sunglasses and soon we took turns viewing the partially-covered sun. Feeling a sense of kinship with strangers, standing there on a porch of a beach-house-turned-coffee-shop.

So many stories. My heart is full.

Photo taken by me, via my iPhone.
I also uploaded a short video of our moonviewing here.

12 comments:

  1. man i wish my heart was full. seriously though...those stories are great. makes me really really miss california!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, neeha! come and visit soon. :)

      Delete
  2. sometimes the best moments are at the end of a wrong turn ;o) I can't walk into any book store and walk empty handed. I love your SF adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. imene, yes. happy accidents are the best.
      thanks for stopping by and leaving a note. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, WOW, a crème brûlée cart! I can't think of anything better right now. Really perfect. And I have to agree with Imene, wrong turns are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. camila, you can only imagine how excited i was when i first learned about it! i'll post some pics soon. :)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous picture and what a gorgeous day you've described. so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maya, thank you. i'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  5. ItadakimasUMay 26, 2012

    Love that picture! I actually already saved it on my own laptop when i saw it @fb xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi kit! thanks for coming to visit.

      Delete
  6. I love reading your posts Odessa, they always make me feel a whole lot calmer and happier :) A bookstore named 'Mrs. Dalloway's'? An eclipse? A resident cat curled up sleeping on a chair? So perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hila. You are so sweet. :)

      Delete