wuthering heights

wuthering heights (2011)

wuthering_1_web

wutheringheights04

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the Universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I’m well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary." -- Cathy, Chapter 9

Someone asked me why I love this novel so much, when it is so dark and depressing and the characters are despicable, and I really can't explain why. The closest that I could come up with is that its one of the few novels that I want to read over and over again. And each time I read it, the story somehow becomes new again, and I fall in love again, perhaps even more than the last time. Yes, the world that Emily Brontë created is bleak but it is so rich and multilayered, and the characters will endear themselves to you not because they are likeable but because they are complex and flawed and yes, very much human.

// Screencaps taken from the 2011 Wuthering Heights adaptation by Andrea Arnold. Has anyone seen this movie? I'd love to hear what you think of it and your thoughts on the novel, too.

7 comments:

  1. you just can't be a passionate person and not get swept away with its own passion. i allow it to sweep me away.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like Emily Bronte's book really is one of those rare magical ones that turns into whatever you want or need it to be. It shifts and changes because you do too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the book and now I'm super curious. Seems like my kind of book. Love the quote too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, don't get me started! I wrote an entire book on why Wuthering Heights fascinates me ... so I think I won't start going on about it here. For me, the likeability of the characters is not the point either - there is something complex about this book, and it's hard to pin down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love wuthering heights! haven't read it since i was 17 though...

    holly and another twitter-friend of hers/reader of mine, lauren, discussed why the latter liked wuthering heights recently! yes, BECAUSE the characters are messy, dark, and broken: i.e., human. as we all are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love this book too. When I was in Paris, it was the one book that I bought from Shakespear and Co. Bookstore :) but then I went back the enxt day and bought a few more books hehe.

    ReplyDelete