today's inspiration: anna karina

n17-anna-karina-28007926-961-1280

“I look out the window and I see the lights and the skyline and the people on the street rushing around looking for action, love, and the world’s greatest chocolate chip cookie, and my heart does a little dance.” -- Nora Ephron, Heartburn

I love this quote and this photo of Anna Karina in Paris and thought they go well together.

Anna Karina will be always my favorite, with her bangs and perfect cat eyes, and how enchanting she is onscreen. I recently read this story of how she and Jean-Luc Godard first got together and it made me smile. Such passionate people, such passionate love.

tumblr_m70hupU6Vc1qkt34fo1_1280

Though their marriage didn't last, they continued to make some of the most influential French New Wave films and it is hard to think of a Godard movie without Anna Karina in it. I remember when I first saw Une femme est une femme, I was struck by two things - how colorful it was and how Godard must have loved her. You can see it in the way the camera follows her and yet gives her space as she moves in and out of a frame. There's even a scene where she winked at the camera (and essentially, Godard), which might have been a big "no" for filmmakers, but if there's anyone who can get away with it, certainly Anna Karina can. 

tumblr_m7d82qGEix1qf8gzfo1_500

Top photo taken by Lennart Green. All images via.

2 comments:

  1. I love her too Odessa. I have a homage post to her as well, you can see it here: http://naomemandeflores.com/en/inspiration-anna-karina/

    And my facebook picture now is also Anna, in Vivre Sa Vie: https://www.facebook.com/camila.faria.37

    That quote is really amazing!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camila, cheers! I had a feeling you love her, too :)

      Delete