jesse et céline

aph_30
Before Sunset 2004

Remember these two? Hands down, my favorite film couple. And I found out that they had just finished making a third movie! In a week filled with meetings and back aches spent from sitting too long and writing reports, this is certainly the best news!

You see, I feel like I grew up with Jesse and Céline and watched their story unfold through the years. When I first saw Before Sunrise, I thought it was such a sweet film about two young people who met on a train and spent a night together wandering in Vienna but it wasn't until I was in my early 20s and also fell for a guy I had met briefly while traveling abroad that I really appreciated how special their story was. Then Before Sunset came out in 2004, exactly 9 years later, which also coincided with how long Jesse and Céline saw each other again in Paris.

I thought the second movie was perfect and I loved the characters even more. They may have lost their earlier idealism but their conversations are deeper and much more realistic. I also identified with the older Céline, her independence and wariness of romantic relationships, and couldn't help but wonder about the ending. Did Jesse really miss his plane? Did they end up together and if so was their connection just as strong when faced with the realities of day to day life?

Now the wondering is over because we get to see Jesse and Céline again after 9 years. The dream team of director Richard Linklater and actors Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy confirmed last week that they had just wrapped production of Before Midnight in Messinia, Greece. I'm amazed at how they were able to keep filming under the radar and then all of a sudden, it's here.

Have a look at their first released photograph in this news article.  Ah, I'm so excited!

And just because I'm feeling a little nostalgic, here is the ending clip from Before Sunrise. For a long time I couldn't stop thinking about how beautiful this is, how they showed all the places that Jessie and Céline had visited and how it all came together with Bach's wistful melody. There's a bittersweetness to it that one often feels at the end of a beautiful trip, when you're sitting alone thinking about the places and the people you've met, how you can't quiet let go of them yet, knowing you must.

6 comments:

  1. !!! I saw this article nearly two weeks ago and I nearly died, I was so excited! I loved these two films so much and I can't wait to see the third. I remember one year, sitting down to watch it one winter's day (on VHS!!) and then realising later that it was 16 June both right then and there, as well as in the film. It was like my soulmate film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annelise, same here. I think I might have made incoherent noises when I read the news. Haha! Yes, I remember 'Before Sunrise on VHS'. Man, that was a long time ago. I also felt like Jesse then. And then in Sunset, I definitely saw myself in Celine. Funny how that happens.

      Oh, and did you remember that scene in Vienna at the records store? I just watched it again and was so touched. They really had something special. (sigh)

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is such an interesting concept. Literally 9 years? Between each movie?? That is absolutely amazing! That makes me think that the quality of the movie has to be great, simply because they're taking their time. Whenever studios push out movies from the same franchise in back to back years, I'm always skeptical of how well the content is.
    Anyways, I need to watch these two movies, I think! Did you find the sequel just as good ( or at least an admirable follow up ) as the first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xixia, I don't even think they had planned on a sequel but the story simply begged for it and it was a labor of love between the director and its 2 actors who co-wrote it.

      And yes, you MUST watch. I actually loved the second movie more. :)

      Delete
  3. I heard some interview a while ago where Ethan Hawke mentioned it had been 9 years and they were talking about it! And now I have to put it out of my mind, so that I can calmly wait. haha.
    I was really curious at the end of Before Sunset to know what happened. But then I kind of felt bad for his family. Romantics (even in story) like to pretend like their actions don't have consequences for others. I think I would've feel better about his character if he were already divorced. ha, what do you think>? I still love the whole premise, maybe I'm too much of a realist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, to be honest I also wasn't sure if I wanted a sequel. I mean, I absolutely LOVED the ending in Sunset and thought it was perfect. I could continue their story whichever way I want, some days I'd say Jesse will go back to NYC and end his marriage and get together with Celine. But the realist in me also thinks that they might not work out in the long run. I think part of what makes it so special was the realization that they are on "borrowed time".

      Delete