hardly strictly bluegrass

via "the lumineers"
Photo by The Lumineers

This weekend was an epic one for San Francisco. There's the Fleet Week, America's Cup, Giants playoffs, Castro Street Fair, Italian Heritage Parade, Burning Man Decompression, the opening weekend of Litquake, and Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. I'm sure I missed other events but according to the news the city had about 1 million visitors this weekend.

For the first time, I chose music over a literary festival and spent Sunday at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in Golden Gate Park. It was amazing and totally free! There were 6 stages and more than 40 bands just for Sunday (it's a 3-day festival) so we got there before noon to set up our blankets and went from stage to stage to see our favorite artists. The energy was exhilarating and at some point I had to close my eyes and say a quick thanks. Such a wonderful, wonderful gift. The only way it could have been more perfect was if I had everyone that I love with me at the park, listening to beautiful music and celebrating this fair city.

And because joy is meant to be shared, here's 3 videos from bands who performed at HSB.



The highlight for me was definitely Glen Hansard. It's always been my dream to watch him perform live and he simply blew me away. I also fell in love with this song.



The Lumineers is one of my current favorite bands. I was so sad that I missed their performance because I couldn't go on Saturday so I've been playing this video on repeat instead.



Black Prairie is a new-to-me band. I heard them for the first time at the festival and they were just awesome. This song, especially, warms my heart and makes me happy. Accordions and violins tend to have that effect on me.

4 comments:

  1. These are all fantastic. Thank you for the great recommendations! Sounds like a wonderful festival. I envy you being so close to Golden Gate Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rusty, you're very much welcome. yes, i'm so lucky to live here.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. yiqin, thanks and i'm glad you enjoyed them.

      Delete