one heart

R1-05602-024A


one heart

It always makes me happy when I find a new poem that I love. And even better when I have a photograph to complement that poem.

The top photo was taken two weeks ago in Monterey, early Sunday morning while walking my cousin's dog Red. I remember Red kept wanting to chase the birds and run away from me. I'm pretty sure I looked comical, taking a photo with a disposable camera while balancing a cup of coffee with my other hand and half-running to hold on to Red's leash.

"One Heart" is poem by Li-Young Lee and a new find while hanging out in the Poetry Room at City Lights Bookstore. There are those poets that speak to us in a very personal way and Li-Young Lee is one of those poets for me. I want to memorize this poem and remember it when I'm feeling small and discouraged. The work of wings / was always freedom -- so beautiful and comforting.

We are having our Indian Summer here in the Bay Area, at last. I've been taking advantage of this glorious weather to go for walks and take naps on the beach.

How about you, what have you been up to these days?

"One Heart" by Li-Young Lee from Book of My Nights, published by BOA Editions, Ltd.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I actually found Li-Young Lee through you. Amazing poet that has an amazing way with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, I'm so happy to hear this and that you are enjoying his poetry. :)

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful way to look at wings. I always just thought of them as a symbol of potential, of being able to do more, but now I will consider them as a saving grace, almost. Her interpretation is eye-opening.

    X i x i a ❥ thisisxixia.com

    ReplyDelete