raindrops on roses

Untitled

It's about 10 in the evening and I'm writing this from a small hotel along the Pacific Coast. What was supposedly a 5-hour trip took so much longer because of heavy rain and fog, with visibility so poor that my aunt almost had a panic attack while we drove along the winding coastal highway. It certainly wasn't your ideal way to start a Christmas vacation. But because of the rain, we found Cambria, a seaside village with quaint Victorian cottages straight out of a storybook. We even managed to take some grainy photos with our cellphones, ha!

And so it goes. Right now we are watching 'The Sound of Music' on t.v. Maria and the kids are singing in their pajamas and I can't help but feel touched. Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...brown paper packages tied up with strings...these are a few of my favorite things.

This film was such a huge part of my growing up years that if I close my eyes I can still remember all of our family get-togethers, birthdays, and Christmases where we'd turn on the VHS player and sing along to their songs. And I'm reminded once again that this is what the holidays are all about. Creating traditions and memories with your loved ones.

I wish you all a very wonderful holiday filled with love, however you celebrate this season.

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Odessa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annelise. I hope you had a wonderful holiday, too.
      And Happy 2013! :)

      Delete