shining, shimmering, splendid

Snapseed

I took this photo two weeks ago. Our kindergarteners made penguins out of torn colored paper and icebergs made out of chalk. One of the teachers bought a huge pack of crystal glitter. Pretty soon every 5-year old wanted to sprinkle these "shiny shimmering" (as they called them) all over. They made such a huge mess in the classroom but it was hard not to smile at their excitement.

I thought about our students today after the tragedy in Connecticut and can't help but cry again. I can't even begin to imagine what the victims' families and loves ones must be feeling right now.

I'd like to believe in love and resilience, in the human heart's capacity to heal. I'd like to believe that even in their short lives, those little children who died last Friday have brought so much joy and light in this world. I'd like to believe that they are now in a beautiful place somewhere -- shining, shimmering, splendid.

This might seem naive but I'd like to hold on to this belief for now. Otherwise my heart will break into pieces all over again, thinking about the senselessness of it all.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I think if we don't hold onto these sentiments, we would be lost. It's hard to wrap your mind (and heart) around what happened - it's too awful, and beyond words. I only hope this compels real and concrete change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no words... it is beyond my capability to even grasp what is done to those children AND teachers, and those who live on after...

    For that, I also want to believe in shinning, shimmering, splendid!

    ReplyDelete